trail time (hikes, trips to the beach) and around camp, students and
cabin leaders are required to wear long pants (no pjs), closed toed
shoes, and weather appropriate outerwear. We want to make sure everyone
is warm and properly attired for their adventures. Students and cabin
leaders will be asked to change if necessary.
potential for muddy trail conditions is high, especially in winter.
Students and cabin leaders should pack clothing and shoes that can get
muddy and dirty.
All cabins are heated. Each student will have his/her own bunk and mattress.
- Sleeping bag or warm blankets and sheets
site is located in the Santa Cruz Mountains, about ten miles inland of
the Pacific Ocean. Weather at camp and at the beach can change
dramatically over the course of the week and day to day. Particularly
during the winter months, rain is likely. We recommend students bring
extra changes of clothes, especially socks, shoes and long pants if the
forecast calls for rain. We strongly suggest rain pants if they are
- 4+ Pairs underwear
- 6+ Pairs socks (pack more for rainy weeks!)
- 2-3 Pairs long pants, jeans or durable pants are recommended. Sweat pants are not allowed out on trail.
- 4-5 T-shirts
- 2 Long sleeve shirts or sweatshirts
- Warm fleece or down jacket
- Raincoat or poncho
- Rain pants
- 1-2 pairs shoes, hiking boots or durable sneakers are best. Open toed shoes or sandals are not allowed out on trail.
- 1 Warm hat
- 1 Sun hat
- 1 Bath towel
- 1 Washcloth
- Comb or brush
- Shower shoes (flip flops work well!)
- Disposable camera (digital cameras are okay too, but discouraged)
- Notebook or journal
- Paper, envelopes and stamps to write and send letters home. San Joaquin Outdoor School does not provide stamps to students!
- Bag for dirty/wet clothes
- Daypack for hikes
- A GOOD ATTITUDE AND BE READY FOR FUN!
If your child will be bringing
medications or prescriptions to outdoor school, please refer to the
"Sending Medicine to Outdoor School" page. We are unable to administer
any medications that do not arrive in their original packaging and/or
lack the proper paperwork. If you have further questions, please
contact our office!
FOR CABIN LEADERS
- Alarm clock
- Quarters for pay phone (optional, but r
ecommended as we do not receive cell phone service at camp
- Watch (cell phone clocks are NOT permitted to be utilized out on trail)
DEVICES SUCH AS CELL PHONES, IPODS, CD PLAYERS, GAMEBOYS, ETC. ARE NOT
PERMITTED AT OUTDOOR SCHOOL. STUDENTS BRINGING THESE ITEMS MUST TURN
THEM INTO THEIR CLASSROOM TEACHERS OR THE OUTDOOR SCHOOL STAFF UPON
ARRIVAL. SJOE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR STOLEN ITEMS. *
DO NOT BRING:
money, jewelry, tank tops, shorts, snacks or food of any kind,
electronic games, fishing gear, high-heeled shoes or any clothing with
inappropriate pictures or slogans.